CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Our day at the mall









This is a long over due. And very blog worthy. Tyler is my beautiful 7 year old daughter. We have talked about getting her ears pierced for a long time. As the day approached Tyler got more and more nervous about getting them done. When we got to the mall I could tell that we might end up leaving with no piercings! The young girl at the store was very patient with Tyler. Tyler needed to take her time to even get up in the chair. Once she was sitting in the chair she was able to hold the bear who had its ears pierced :) As the earings were being loaded into the gun, Tyler started to back out of the chair. She had made up her mind in those short seconds that she didn't want to get them done! This was critical for me as a mom to help her with as much love and compassion as I could. I felt like this was a moment that Tyler and I could be closer, and development more trust. I knew she wanted her ears done, and I also knew she was scared. We worked it out! and I held her close, told the young girl to go ahead! and what do you know, but Tyler looked at me and said "that didn't hurt at all!!" so she was much more cooperative for the second ear. The best news of all was how proud she was of herself that she didn't leave the mall without the earrings. The best part for me was how much closer I felt to her because of the experience we shared together.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've told you before...and I'll tell you again...you are a very wise mama...you handled it perfectly, and better than I would have!!!

Unknown said...

What an experience you had and enjoyed it as well! Those memories are precious! She will enjoy hearing them in the future.

Merri said...

I bet she feels like so proud of herself too! You're awesome Christy. I'm glad you had a great day together. :)

SimplySandi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SimplySandi said...

What a great story. It really warmed my heart. It brought back memories of when I got my ears pierced at 10 years old. It's definitely one of those "rights of passage"!